Hampshire - Kerbside Recycling

veolia hampshire Kerbside Recycling

Information on your kerbside collection in Hampshire

Collection from your kerbside in Hampshire is the responsibility of the local and district authorities, who deliver the waste to us for processing at one of our facilities.

If you have any problems with your kerbside collection service, we recommend that you contact your local council helpdesk first. To find out your collection day or to request a recycling bin or for any further information on your kerbside recycling scheme, please also contact your local council.

We've got information below about recycling for the whole of Hampshire's domestic households.

The materials that are collected from your home can vary depending on where you live, but broadly, these are the items that should be put into your recyclables bin:

  • All drinks cans, both steel and aluminium
  • Aerosol cans (but not those with 'hazardous' markings like a black and orange cross or skull & crossbones symbol). Make sure they are completely empty and remove the lids.
  • All plastic bottles (but please take the lids off first)
  • All clean paper including newspapers, magazines, envelopes, junk mail, scrap paper, directories including Yellow Pages, brochures and catalogues (but no shredded paper please)
  • All food tins including pet food - rinsed out please!
  • All cardboard including cereal boxes and food packaging (please flatten or break up large boxes)

Even if your recycling container is full, extra recyclables are always welcome but please don’t put them out in black bin bags. Contact your local council to find out about collection arrangements.

The following items cannot be recycled in your kerbside collection scheme:

  • Drinks cartons – Tetra Pak cartons are difficult to recycle because they are mixture of plastic and paper and there are limited facilities to process them in the UK
  • Polystyrene and cellophane – Unfortunately there are no facilities to process these materials at present in the UK
  • Plastic packaging – this includes items such as yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, plastic food trays and flower pots. At present there are limited facilities to recycle these items in the UK
  • Shredded paper – in order to process such a large amount of material at our Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs) we use a lot of automatic sorting equipment which recognises different types of material but not very small or shredded pieces
  • Plastic carrier bags – The MRFs sort out all the different materials so you don’t need to separate them in bags. Plastic bags can actually cause problems and prevent good materials from being recycled so please make sure your recycling is loose in your collection container
  • Aerosol cans with 'hazardous' markings - aerosols with an orange and black cross or skull & crossbones symbols should be disposed of in your non-recyclable waste container.

All these items should be placed in your non-recyclable household waste bin. Some items such as Tetra Paks (drinks cartons) can be recycled in special schemes – keep an eye out for them if you are keen to recycle these items.